This is the copy of Deathly Hallows that I bought at midnight in July, 2007, just under six years ago. I would have been ten years old then.
Ten years old and I got this book.
Eleven years old and this was the book I hid in when the world was too dangerous, and the kids at school too hurtful, and the panic attacks started.
Twelve years old and this was the book I hid in when my mind was what was dangerous, and I had a bottle of pills in one hand and a razor in the other, and I tried to find the mix of blood and blade and medicine that would keep me from ever waking up again.
Thirteen years old and this was the book that helped me to find the courage to ask for help, and the friends to ask it from, and the words to know what I was feeling.
Fourteen years old and this book was battered and worn, filled with notes and signatures, and I held it tight in my arms as I went to LeakyCon for the first time, and realized that there were things in the world worth falling in love with.
Fifteen years old and this book started to become less of Harry Potter and more of me; more cramped cursive handwriting than printed text.
Sixteen years old, now, and the story of the photos stuck between the pages became more valuable to me than the story of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and the tearstains and the signatures and the little drawings, the birthday cards and postcards and stickers more valuable to me than I would ever have thought as a little lonely girl.
Harry Potter is a story of a boy who was scared, and alone, and different. A boy who was facing a terrible danger that he didn’t understand and didn’t know how to fight. A boy who somehow managed to find courage, and strength, and friendship, love, and hope, even in the darkest of times and the most unlikely places. And as Harry fought his dementors, I fought mine. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is his story. This book… this book is mine.
- ichoose-thelabyrinth likes this
- yourroyalawkwardness likes this
- diediemydarliing likes this
- wayward-9 likes this
- corgisandbands reblogged this from must-love-hobbits
- fangirladdie reblogged this from lady-sherlock
- mistrunner likes this
- lady--moriarty reblogged this from badwolfhunting
- lady--moriarty likes this
- badwolfhunting reblogged this from bubbly-bl0nde
- badwolfhunting likes this
- crocs-are-ho-t reblogged this from jenandriel
- 5secsofashley likes this
- pompous-shitblossom likes this
- abloodygoodmess likes this
- abloodygoodmess reblogged this from angelshavethephonebox
- imjafan reblogged this from lady-sherlock
- ladygagasjudgementalmother reblogged this from jenandriel
- seventeen-ninetyfive likes this
- officialofficialoftheofficials likes this
- jenandriel likes this
- jenandriel reblogged this from lady-sherlock
- sherlockian-221b reblogged this from lady-sherlock
- sherlockian-221b likes this
- lovelikediam0nds likes this
- skaro234 likes this
- k-a-p-o-w reblogged this from bubbly-bl0nde
- k-a-p-o-w likes this
- becauseofwhatiknow24 likes this
- corgisandbands likes this
- bubbly-bl0nde reblogged this from housewholocked
- not-so-dirty-dan reblogged this from homoreptilian
- lady-sherlock reblogged this from homoreptilian
- iamcharlesxavier reblogged this from homoreptilian
- assemblethefellowship likes this
- khan-drogo likes this
- must-love-hobbits reblogged this from mischievoussloki
- poetryo reblogged this from angelshavethephonebox
- thenextmisshepburn reblogged this from finepieceofcas
- mischievoussloki reblogged this from finepieceofcas
- gallifreyan-gryffindor-in221b reblogged this from little-shop-of-heather
- thaterinlynn reblogged this from sonofacumbercookie
- spooky-demon-dean likes this
- paginapequena likes this
- pandasthatfly reblogged this from angelshavethephonebox
- ashleypollonais reblogged this from shewholeavesglitter
- thefunniestassbuttinthegarrison likes this
- itzlilzassbutt likes this
- shewholeavesglitter reblogged this from daenerysisnotonfire
- confessions-of-a-succubus likes this